General Surgeons Australia (GSA) was founded in 1999 and its Constitution was ratified in June 2000.
In 2021, GSA had a membership of over 1,700, comprising consultant Specialist General Surgeons, Junior Doctors, General Surgery Trainees, and Specialist International Medical Graduates (SIMGs), practicing mainly in Australia.
GSA has a close working relationship with the New Zealand Association of General Surgeons (NZAGS), and is an official Designated Society of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI). GSA maintains close links with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), and is committed to promoting both high quality training and the continuing medical education of our Members.
Specialist General Surgeons
A General Surgeon is a Specialist who:
• is trained to provide expert treatment across a broad range of emergency and planned surgical procedures
• pursues a balance between sub-specialty interests and generalist surgical practice
• participates in multi-disciplinary teams
• contributes to training and research
• is available to address surgical needs within Australia and globally
Click here to download a copy of the GSA Organisational Chart.