Mission, Vision & Values
To maintain General Surgery as a respected, prestigious and rewarding surgical career and to meet the surgical needs of all patients in Australia.
The key function of GSA is to ensure the provision of high quality, comprehensive General Surgical services, including emergency and planned services, to the Australian community, through the promotion of specialist training, continuing medical education, and audit for its Members.
GSA represents General Surgery in Australia, through:
- developing and managing education and training programs that produce General Surgeons of the highest professional standard
- ensuring that General Surgeons maintain the highest standards of professional competence
- providing GSA Members with valuable benefits and services that support their professional lives
- promoting GSA as the authority for General Surgery in Australia, and being recognised as such by government, health groups, and the wider community
- aligning the specialty of General Surgery on key strategic issues by continuous engagement with the RACS, NZAGS, and the various sub-specialty societies and groups within General Surgery and internationally
We pursue the highest standards of surgical care based on expertise, compassion, respect, ethical practice, conscientiousness, and scholarship, without discrimination.
We take ownership of our actions and work openly and constructively with Members, Trainees, and all stakeholders.
We promote interaction with specialty surgical groups and respect their autonomy.