Mission, Vision & Values
To maintain Specialist General Surgery as a respected, prestigious and rewarding surgical career and to meet the surgical needs of patients in Australia.
The key function of GSA is to ensure the provision of high quality, comprehensive Specialist General Surgical services, including emergency and planned services, to the Australian community. We achieve this through the promotion of specialist training, continuing medical education, research, advocacy, and audit for our Members.
GSA represents Specialist General Surgery in Australia, through:
- developing and managing education and training programs that produce Specialist General Surgeons of the highest professional standard
- ensuring that Specialist General Surgeons maintain the highest standards of professional competence
- providing GSA Members with valuable benefits and services that support their professional lives
- promoting GSA as the authority for Specialist General Surgery in Australia, and being recognised as such by government, health groups, and the wider community
- aligning the specialty of General Surgery on key strategic issues by continuous engagement and co-operation with the RACS, NZAGS, and the various sub-specialty societies and groups within Specialist General Surgery, both regionally and globally
We pursue the highest standards of surgical care based on expertise, compassion, respect, ethical practice, conscientiousness, and scholarship.
We take ownership of our actions and work openly and constructively with Members, Trainees, and all stakeholders
We promote interaction with medical Colleges, government, industry, and consumers, and with specialty surgical groups both regionally and globally
We commit to equity and diversity within our specialty and our organisation, and to equitable treatment of all stakeholders, without discrimination
We endeavour to maintain generalism and deliver sustainable surgical services that meet the needs of the Australian community, and commit to sustainable approaches in managing our resources