2020 Selection for 2021 Intake
PFET Program in Rural Surgery
The annual Selection process for the PFET Program in Rural Surgery will be governed by Selection Regulations.
Click here to download the 2020 Selection Guidelines for application to the PFET Program in Rural Surgery.
The GSA Rural Training Committee is looking for candidates with a genuine interest in Rural Surgery, who have a history of commitment and initiative.
Applicants must provide a statement of intent outlining their commitment to a career in Rural (non-metropolitan) Surgery, and identifying future plans with regards to employment in a Rural (non-metropolitan) area.
Applicants acknowledge that successful completion of the PFET Program in Rural Surgery will not be recognised as prior learning in any future applications made to PFET Programs offered by CSSANZ, ANZHPBA, or ANZGOSA. Applicants also acknowledge that successful completion of the PFET Program in Rural Surgery will not be considered as an alternative pathway to membership of CSSANZ, ANZHPBA, or ANZGOSA.
|Selection opens:||Monday 6 April 2020 at 12:00pm (AEDST)|
|Selection closes:||Friday 24 April 2020 at 12:00pm (AEDST)|
|Referee Reports sent out:||Friday 1 May 2020|
|Referee Reports due back:||Friday 22 May 2020|
|Notification of Interviews:||Friday 29 May 2020|
|Interviews:||July 2020, Melbourne (date & time TBC)
Selection Application Form
The 2020 Selection Application process for the PFET Program in Rural Surgery will open on Monday 6 April 2020.
Application and Eligibility
For 2020, the Post Fellowship Education & Training (PFET) Program in Rural Surgery is open:
- to suitably qualified trainees who have been awarded Fellowship of the RACS in General Surgery or
- to trainees who have successfully completed the RACS Fellowship Examination in the above listed specialty; or
- to trainees who have enrolled for the May sitting of the RACS Fellowship Examination in the above listed specialty, in the year of application.
Applicants will be interviewed in July 2020 (date & time TBC) in Melbourne. Applications will be considered by the GSA Rural Training Committee.
Selection of candidates into the PFET Program in Rural Surgery will be determined by the following selection tools:
- Curriculum Vitae 30%
- Referees Reports 30%
- Interview 40%
The number of offers will be dependent on the Rural Training Pathway preferences identified by the applicant and the availability of accredited positions, and may depend on positions becoming available.
Applicants should download the Selection Application Instructions & Payment Form.
All applications must include the following:
- Completed Selection Application form with all relevant attachments
- Proof of successful completion of the Fellowship Examination in General Surgery
- Evidence of enrolment for the May sitting of the RACS Fellowship Examination in General Surgery
- Proof of current and valid medical registration from the applicable Medical Board or Council in Australia (e.g. AHPRA). Australian applicants must have general (unconditional) registration, or specialist registration in General Surgery. New Zealand applicants must have general scope or restricted general scope registration in the relevant specialty.
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residency status in Australia or New Zealand.
- Proof of Medical Indemnity Insurance
- Payment of the $550 (inc. GST) registration fee is required prior to applications being considered
During scoring of an application, points will be awarded for the following:
- Experience in General Surgery
- Experience in Rural Surgery
- Higher Degrees
- Publications – quality of journals
- Presentations at national or international meetings
- Administrative involvement and organisation skills
- Other activities – leadership qualities
Only shortlisted candidates will be required for the interview.
As per Section 6.2. of the Selection Regulations:
- Applicants must score a combined total score from the CV and Referee Reports of 70% or above to be eligible to proceed to the interview stage. Applicants who do not meet this criteria will be deemed unsuitable and not eligible for an interview. Applicants will be notified accordingly.
For all Selection queries, please contact:
Executive Officer - PFET
P +61 8 8274 3791