2019 Selection for 2020 Intake
PFET Program in Trauma Surgery
The annual Selection process for the PFET Program in Trauma Surgery will be governed by Selection Regulations.
Click here to download the 2019 Selection Guidelines for application to the PFET Program in Trauma Surgery.
|Selection opens:||Tuesday 5 March 2019 at 12:00pm (AEDST)|
|Selection closes:||Tuesday 2 April 2019 at 12:00pm (AEDST)|
|Referee Reports sent out:||Monday 8 April 2019|
|Referee Reports due back:||Friday 19 April 2019|
|Notification of Interviews:||Monday 29 April 2019|
|Interviews:||Saturday 6 July 2019 (Melbourne)
Selection Application Form
The 2019 Selection Application process for the PFET Program in Trauma Surgery is now closed.
Application and Eligibility
For 2019, the Post Fellowship Education & Training (PFET) Program in Trauma Surgery is open:
- to suitably qualified trainees who have been awarded Fellowship of the RACS in General Surgery or
- to trainees who have successfully completed the RACS Fellowship Examination in the above listed specialty; or
- to trainees who have enrolled for the May sitting of the RACS Fellowship Examination in the above listed specialty, in the year of application.
Applicants will be interviewed on 6 July 2019 at the RACS, Melbourne. Applications will be considered by the GSA Trauma Training Committee.
Selection of candidates into the PFET Program in Trauma Surgery will be determined by the following selection tools:
- Curriculum Vitae 30%
- Referees Reports 30%
- Interview 40%
The number of offers will be dependent on the availability of accredited positions and may depend on trauma positions becoming available.
Applicants should download the Selection Application Instructions & Payment Form.
All applications must include the following:
- Completed Selection Application form with all relevant attachments
- Proof of successful completion of the Fellowship Examination in General Surgery
- Evidence of enrolment for the May sitting of the RACS Fellowship Examination in General Surgery
- Proof of successful completion of the Fellowship Examination in General Surgery.
- Proof of current and valid medical registration from the applicable Medical Board or Council in Australia (e.g. AHPRA). Australian applicants must have general (unconditional) registration, or specialist registration in General Surgery.
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residency status in Australia
- Proof of Medical Indemnity Insurance
- Proof of satisfactory completion of the Early Management of Severe Trauma (EMST) Provider or Refresher Course within the last four (4) years. If not completed in the last four (4) years, successful applicants must complete the EMST Provider or Refresher Course in the first year of training on the PFET Program in Trauma Surgery.
- Proof of satisfactory completion of the Definitive Surgical Trauma Care (DSTC) Course. If not completed, it is recommended that successful applicants complete the DSTC Course in the first year of training on the PFET Program in Trauma Surgery.
- Payment of the $440 (inc. GST) registration fee is required prior to applications being considered
During scoring of an application, points will be awarded for the following:
- Experience in General Surgery
- Experience in Trauma Surgery
- Completion of trauma related courses
- Higher Degrees
- Publications – quality of journals
- Presentations at national or international meetings
- Administrative involvement and organisation skills
- Other activities – leadership qualities
Only shortlisted candidates will be required for the interview.
As per Section 6.2. of the Selection Regulations:
- Applicants must score a combined total score from the CV and Referee Reports of 70% or above to be eligible to proceed to the interview stage.
For all Selection queries, please contact:
Executive Officer - PFET
P +61 8 8274 3791