Surveys & Research
Research Projects & Surveys - GSA Membership
Researchers who wish to survey or interview the GSA Membership (including Trainees, SIMGs and Junior Doctors) must complete the GSA Research Project Approval Form during the development phase of their project. Internal Research requests will be considered from GSA Members, General Surgery Trainees, SIMGs, and Junior Doctor Members.
External researchers may also complete and submit a GSA Research Project Approval Form, however are advised to note the Terms of Reference for survey distribution and publication.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference for survey distribution and other research projects targetting the GSA Membership can be downloaded here.
- All requests are coordinated through the GSA Research & Scholarships Committee. The review process may take up to twelve (12) weeks from receiving the application documentation.
- The Committee will approve up to a maximum of nine (9) surveys per year to any group including GSA Members, SET/GSET Trainees, SIMGs, and/or JDOC Members.
- The Committee will approve up to a maximum of three (3) non-survey research projects (such as qualitative interviews) per year to any group including GSA Members, SET/GSET Trainees, SIMGs, and/or JDOC Members.
Research Project Approval Form - Projects & Surveys of GSA Membership
To download the Research Project Approval Form, please click here.
Research Projects - Access to Training Data
Researchers who wish to access General Surgery training data (including Selection data) must submit their request to the Australian Board in General Surgery for consideration. Please email [email protected] for further details.
Requests for access to MALT logboook data must adhere to RACS processes for approval. The RACS MALT team will not provide data to researchers unless a project has support from the Australian Board in General Surgery, with the final decision at the discretion of the College. Researcher must first check with the RACS MALT team if:
- they can provide the data in question in the format required; and
- under what circumstances they will grant access to the data.
The RACS MALT Team can be contacted as follows:
T: +61 8 8219 0939
E: [email protected]
Costs & Project Support
Depending on the nature of the project, researchers may be required to cover administration costs involved in extracting the data required. For approved projects, this will be discussed on a case-by-case basis with the researcher.
Research Project Approval Form - Training Data
To download the Australian Board in General Surgery Research Project Approval Form, please click here.
For the SET Program in General Surgery Research Requirement and pre-approval process, please submit a Trainee Request via TMS.
All Survey & Interview enquires should be directed to:
General Surgeons Australia
250-290 Spring Street
EAST MELBOURNE VIC 3002
P +61 3 9249 1246
F +61 3 9249 1257
E [email protected]